Streets of Cork

  

Patrick's Street
This was a busy watercourse which was arched over in 1783. At first it was called New Street but was officially named Patrick's Street in 1783. A large part of the street was destroyed in 1920 when it was burned by British forces. Charles Stewart Parnell stayed in the Victoria Hotel, on this street, and spoke from it's balcony. The Gaelic Athletic Association was founded in this same building on 27th December 1884. At the top of the street, a bronze statue of Fr. Mathew, by John Foley, was unveiled on 10th October 1864

Patrick's Street, Cork

 

Patrick's Bridge, Cork

Patrick's Bridge
Patrick's Bridge was erected in 1789 and links Patrick's Street and Merchants Quay on the south side of the river to Bridge Street, MacCurtain Street and Patrick's Quay on the north. In the 18th century Merchants Quay, part of the great north channel, was lined with the premises of wealthy merchants catering to the trade on the busy quay. In the 19th century the quay was lined with hotels, insurance agents, tailors and shipbrokers.

   
Parnell Bridge and City Hall
Parnell Bridge was erected in 1882 and named after Charles Stewart Parnell. This bridge was replaced by a new one in 1971. On the south side of the bridge is the site of the Cork Industrial Exhibit of 1852. The corn exchange building, built for this exhibition, was converted into municipal buildings and a city hall in 1890. This building was burned down in 1920 and a new city hall was opened by  Eamon De Valera on 8th September 1936. The Carnegie Library was opened on 12th September 1905 but this was also destroyed by the fire of 1920

City Hall, Cork

  

MacCurtain Street, Cork

King Street (now MacCurtain Street)
Situated on the North side of the river Lee, this area was originally called the North Strand. The first building on this was erected in 1750 by the Lavitt family and the street was known as Lavitt's Buildings. The name was changed to Strand Street in 1790 and to King Street in the 19th century, after the prominent King family. The streets present name commemorates Tomas MacCurtain, Lord Mayor of Cork, murdered by British forces in 1920.

 

Chronology

Home

Parish Records
1